In 1949 residents of Belvidere, a suburban community outside Wilmington, started working to organize a fire company. After raising money, the newly organized group acquired a fire engine and the men were just about ready to start answering alarms by the May of next year. The Journal Every Evening, a Wilmington newspaper, published a photo of seven proud members of the start-up group with their first unit at that time. According to a History of Flame in Delaware, the first responders had purchased a retiring unit from Delaware City. The company was formally incorporated in 1951.
Photo Source: Journal Evening, May 17, 1950, from the Delaware Room of the Wilmington Free Library.