On a sunny spring Saturday in April I was in Rehoboth Beach for a talk so afterwards I ventured down to Fenwick Island to take some photos of the Transpeninsular Line. The 1751 survey for this important boundary established the southern limit for William Penn’s three lower counties (now Delaware). Later in 1763, the line was accepted by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon when they started work on sorting out the border between Maryland and William Penn’s grant. At the lighthouse is an old stone monument erected April 26, 1751. It bears the coat of arms of the Calvert’s on the south side and the Penn’s on the north side. The lighthouse, where the waist-high monument is located, was completed in 1859.
My Website and Blogs
Follow Delmarva History on Facebook
- Martha Wright on Red Star Lines Bus for Claiborne, Tolchester, Chestertown, Cambridge, Salisbury and Other Points on the Delmarva
- Martha Wright on From Claiborne to Ocean City on the Red Star Coach
- Patty on Leipsic River Nourished the Growth of Leipsic, a Port in Kent County
- Mike Dixon on Fine Meals on Baltimore Steam Packet Ships While Sailing Down Chesaepake Bay
- Jim Deans on Fine Meals on Baltimore Steam Packet Ships While Sailing Down Chesaepake Bay
- Through many decades of challenges, Illinois newspapers remain strong voice flip.it/HAiDVu 5 hours ago
- New map unearths dozens of forgotten burial grounds across Philly flip.it/dvI8_n 5 hours ago
- Cannonball | York County’s Underground Railroad Heroes: Jacob Wirt of Hanover flip.it/PA-M-Q 8 hours ago
- The Book That Preserved What African Americans Who Knew Abraham Lincoln Thought of Him flip.it/-1Vm9R 8 hours ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Website for Real Time Marine Traffic on Delaware & Chesapeake Bays, and C & D Canal
- Railroad Tracks Across the Ice on the Susquehanna River at Havre de Grace.
- Carroll County Library Digitizes Westminster Newspaper
- Online Historical Maps of Harford County
- A Preservation Success Story: 150 Year-Old Jail Saved in Princess Anne