In Sudlersville, MD., a town with a population of about 400 people, there’s a small museum that serves as the legacy-keeper for the community. The other day while driving through town we noticed a sign announcing an ambitious expansion plan for the institution. Right now it’s found in the railroad depot, but the collection of railroad, baseball, and town history is outgrowing the tiny station so the Sudlersville Betterment Club is undertaking an ambitious expansion plan. After they received a donation of land on the other side of the tracks and an anonymous donor offered $50,000 to help with construction, the group launched a drive to raise additional funds.
The railroad from Townsend end arrived in the Queen Anne’s County community in 1869 and the station opened in 1870. Passenger service ended in 1939 and the
freight depot closed in 1965. That year also marked the retirement of the stationmaster J. Wilbur Stafford who served the road for 47-years.
In these challenging times for museums, it’s great to see an institution that’s planning to grow. We visited the depot once a few years ago were shown the interesting collection by two informative docents. Congratulations to the Betterment Club and the Museum for serving as the legacy keepers in Sudlersville. We’ll look forward to
visiting when the opening occurs.