For a few brief years at the top of the 20th century a modern trolley replaced a rickety old stagecoach providing transportation between Middletown and Odessa.
Operated by the Odessa & Middletown Railway Company, the line opened
in August 1903, putting both of its electric cars in service. But revenue never covered operating expenses so there was talk about extending the 4-miles of track to Cecilton and Smyrna. Nothing ever came of that, and the line shut-down in 1907.
My Website and Blogs
Follow Delmarva History on Facebook
- Martha Wright on Red Star Lines Bus for Claiborne, Tolchester, Chestertown, Cambridge, Salisbury and Other Points on the Delmarva
- Martha Wright on From Claiborne to Ocean City on the Red Star Coach
- Patty on Leipsic River Nourished the Growth of Leipsic, a Port in Kent County
- Mike Dixon on Fine Meals on Baltimore Steam Packet Ships While Sailing Down Chesaepake Bay
- Jim Deans on Fine Meals on Baltimore Steam Packet Ships While Sailing Down Chesaepake Bay
- The Meaning and Meaninglessness of Genealogy flip.it/9S-koF 4 hours ago
- RT @dancohen: “Back to the Blog” — my new post on why I’m committing to writing more on my own domain, with some thoughts about the psychol… 2 days ago
- The Blogger Quietly Preserving Maryland’s Culinary History flip.it/t69z1z 3 days ago
- Two new old ships, from 1700s or 1800s, discovered along Alexandria waterfront washingtonpost.com/local/virginia… 4 days ago
- Division to sponsor 16 special events during April 2018
- State Sen. Nicole Poore visits the New Castle Court House Museum to celebrate accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums
- Presentation to Kent County Levy Court celebrates Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Website for Real Time Marine Traffic on Delaware & Chesapeake Bays, and C & D Canal
- Popular Fish Fry to Support African American Schoolhouse Museum Returns on June 19
- Carroll County Library Digitizes Westminster Newspaper
- Online Historical Maps of Harford County
- Salem City NJ, An Interesting Historic District & Town