The 111-year-old Goldsboro Railroad Depot hasn’t reached the end of the line yet despite having been on a decade’s long journey around Caroline County. The long idle station was hauled four miles up the road to Henderson in the 1980s, where it served as an entrance gateway for a community. But a company planning a large housing project back in Goldsboro put an end to the separation when it trucked the structure home in 1996. Since that cumbersome road trip, it’s sat abandoned in a field at the edge of the municipality.
Some citizens have inquired about the future of the building resting on the makeshift foundation and if they get their way it just might come alive again. At a recent Goldsboro Town Meeting they suggested the Mayor and Commissioners acquire the structure and turn it into a museum. There are a number of things that must be considered, including acquisition and the impact upkeep would have on the budget of a municipality with just over 200 people. But the town’s checking it all out. We congratulate the elected officials for doing what they can to preserve a key element of the heritage of Goldsboro, for this place was the hub of activity in northern Caroline County town as trains rumbled to a stop with passengers, freight, and mail.
The depot opened in Goldsboro in 1900. For years townspeople urged the Pennsylvania Railroad to build a new structure as the increasing business of the place made the old one obsolete. Once the company announced a plan for building one similar to the stations at Ridgely and Greensboro, Robert Jarrell donated land for the modern “ornament.” It was a proud September day in Goldsboro when it opened for the traveling public. The first stationmaster at the “attractive depot” was Mr. G. W. Johnson.
The 54 mile line from Clayton Delaware to Oxford, Maryland opened in 1857, according to Poor’s Manual of Railroads. The P. W. & B operated the road for the Delaware and Chesapeake Railroad in 1888, carrying nearly 53,000 passengers over the route that year.