A new piece of legislation just signed into law by Governor Martin O’Malley requires insurance companies doing business in Maryland to disclose any policies the companies issued to slave owners. By April 1, 2012, the State Insurance Commissioner will issue a report containing the data developed during that search. Owners of slaves would insured their slaves against death or injury. The bill’s sponsor, Senator Lisa A. Gladden said: “As a genealogist and someone interested in my own history, this allows me to look at records that perhaps are not public records and that are held by insurance companies.”The bill unanimously passed the General Assembly this year and was not opposed by the insurance industry. Similar provisions have been enacted in other states.
My Website and Blogs
Follow Delmarva History on Facebook
- Martha Wright on Red Star Lines Bus for Claiborne, Tolchester, Chestertown, Cambridge, Salisbury and Other Points on the Delmarva
- Martha Wright on From Claiborne to Ocean City on the Red Star Coach
- Patty on Leipsic River Nourished the Growth of Leipsic, a Port in Kent County
- Mike Dixon on Fine Meals on Baltimore Steam Packet Ships While Sailing Down Chesaepake Bay
- Jim Deans on Fine Meals on Baltimore Steam Packet Ships While Sailing Down Chesaepake Bay
- RT @dancohen: “Back to the Blog” — my new post on why I’m committing to writing more on my own domain, with some thoughts about the psychol… 12 hours ago
- The Blogger Quietly Preserving Maryland’s Culinary History flip.it/t69z1z 1 day ago
- Two new old ships, from 1700s or 1800s, discovered along Alexandria waterfront washingtonpost.com/local/virginia… 2 days ago
- History, Memory, and the Power of Black Radio flip.it/6mjJjt 4 days ago
- Presentation to Kent County Levy Court celebrates Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums
- State Rep. Collins visits Prince George’s Chapel in Dagsboro to celebrate accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums
- Delaware State Historic Preservation Office recent accomplishments
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.