After several damp, misty days that saw fog roll in each night, the spell of murky weather appeared to be slowly clearing out today as a few sun rays poked through breaks in the cloud. During one of those fleeting moments, an old house of worship on top of a Harford County hill caught some of the light. But the clearing was slow going as dark clouds still squeezed in around one lone white, puffy cumulus cloud. The church is the Watters Meeting House or Thomas Run Church. The rubble stone Methodist Church was built about 1840 on a spot that previously had a log structure. It served the congregation, until the doors closed for the final time in 1947.
From the Record —–
The War of 1812 Cannon Monument to John O’Neill was rededicated at Concord Point Lighthouse Sunday. The public ceremony was preceded by a reception for Save the Cannon donors and guests.
The ceremony was opened by cannon fire and the National Guard Challenge Academy Color Guard led by bagpipes and drum. The U.S. Army Material Command Band provided music.
. . .
The upcoming Bicentennial of the War of 1812 was addressed by Bill Pencek from Maryland’s Department of Tourism and Suzanne Copping, project manager of the Star-Spangled National Historic Trail.
May 1, 2010 – Havre De Grace — Musket and cannon fire rang out Saturday afternoon on the grounds of the Susquehanna Museum as the British once again stormed Havre de Grace. The militia, out in full force to meet the enemy this time, was easily overran as battle hardened royal marines stormed out of the woods. The cannon fire and musket blasts from the defending riflemen failed to halt the advance of these veterans.
While the reenactment of the War of 1812 attack was the featured event, it was only part of day’s activities. Before the fire, smoke, and noise of the battlefield action caused a hush to fall over the large crowd, there were drill formations, men and women in period attire, soldiers camps, tours of the museum, and talks by authors. The writers included Scott Sheads from Fort McHenry and Chris George a historian and author of an authoritative title on the War of the 1812 on the Chesapeake. Ranger Sheads, without aid of a microphone or amplifying device delivered an animated, thoroughly enjoyable talk about the War of 1812 on the Upper Chesapeake. As his voice boomed out to hundreds of assembled people, he asked if everyone could hear him. Yes the crowd shouted back as he joked that’s why they send me all the way up here from Fort McHenry.
Over 500 people attended this successful event, and hundreds of them toured the Lock House Museum. Congratulations to the Susquehanna Museum for producing a fine day that leverages the history of their community to attract a great crowd to town.
MAY 1, 2010 – WAR of 1812 Re-enactment — Come and watch American and British forces drill and train throughout the day in preparation for the attack on Havre de Grace later that afternoon. Listen to historical lectures on the event and interact with the re-enactors in a variety of activities. The event culminates with a Star Spangled Banner presentation by the Fort McHenry Guard — the unfurling of a full-sized replica of the flag that flew over the fort during the War of 1812
10:00 AM Morning Gun – Event Begins 10:30 AM Militia and US Marine Drill, 11:30 AM Cannon firing, 12:00 Noon Troops stand down for Lunch, 1:00 PM Discussion of Background of War of 1812, 1:30 PM “The John O’Neill Perspective,” 2:00 PM Militia Pre-Attack Activities, 2:30 PM Attack on Havre De Grace, 3:30 PM Star Spangled Banner Presentation 4:00 PM Events end
Visit the Lockhouse Museum web site for more details